Palestinians sue Israel for killing of infant by Jewish settlers

A relative holds up a photo of a one-and-a-half year old boy, Ali Dawabsheh, in a house that had been torched in a suspected attack by Jewish settlers in Duma village near the West Bank city of Nablus, Friday, July 31, 2015. The boy died in the fire, his four-year-old brother and parents were wounded, according to a Palestinian official from the Nablus area. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)

Relatives of a Palestinian family killed in a firebomb attack blamed on Jewish settlers are suing the Israeli government for damages.

Nasser Dawabsheh’s brother Saad, sister-in-law Riham and 18-month-old nephew Ali (pictured), were killed in the 2015 attack. He said the family lived in a West Bank village under Israeli control and therefore the government is liable for not protecting them. He says the family seeks unspecified compensation for their loss. The family accuses Israel of ignoring the incitement and violence of Jewish West Bank settler extremists.

The attack in the village of Duma and the drawn-out investigation helped fuel months of Israeli-Palestinian violence. Then 4-year-old Ahmad was the only family member to survive.
Israel has charged two Jewish extremists with murder. Their trial is ongoing.
Read report from the Standard