Palestine Update 170
Investing in young people
Planned events below
This year’s theme is “Youth and Children: Raising Hope and Making Change”. Youth and children are the ones who suffer the most in conflicts and under occupation. They are also the ones who will hold the future of Palestine and Israel in their hands, the ones we pray will grow up with peace and prosperity.
2018 Promotion Flyer for sharing the date and theme. You can order copies in sets of 100.
- Prayer and background resource from WCC, 2018
- Prayer for Palestine & Israel from the Mennonite Central Committee, 2018
- Prayer Where are you God? by Jan Sutch Pickard
- Generation potential: interviews with five young Palestinians, project of PAX for Peace, Netherlands
- 12 Faces of Hope: Seek Justice and Peace in the Holy Land: a resource from the WCC stories and video clips include Rabbi Noa Mazor, peacemaker Tarek Al-Zoughbi and communication worker Nanor Arkelian
- Video testimonies from Breaking the Silence, an organisation of veteran combatants of the Israeli Defence Forces who have served the occupation.
- Find out about the work of Defence for Children International in Palestine – important work monitoring and advocating for children who are illegally detained. Stories, date and advocacy ideas.
- Invite your Church community to use the new Investing for Peace: guide for local church activists to initiate discussion on morally responsible investment.
- Take action to enhance Palestinian children’s right to education with this Ecumenical Accompaniment in Palestine and Israel resource
- Support the Palestinian economy – by goods oil, dates and many other wonderful products from Zaytoun... perfect for a church event/stall.
PLANNED EVENTS FOR 2018:
20 September. Hexham. Youth and children Raising hope and making change. Evening with Hamed Qawasmeh from the West Bank. St Mary’s Church Centre, Hencotes, Hexham, NE46 2EB @7.30
29 September, Newcastle. Youth and Children: Raising hope and making change. Speaker Phoebe Rison, Advocacy worker for Sabeel/Kairos. St Thomas’ Church, Haymarket, Newcastle @ 1.00pm. 2.30 worship
Resources and events from WWPPI 2017
Action card with text on reverse to be sent to MPs and Elected Representatives.
Order copies in sets of 100.
Stories of young people from Palestine and Israel
Powerpoint Voices of the young with testimonies from young people. Could be used within the liturgy or each slide could be printed and enlarged to create a small exhibition.
Additional stories – A4 presentations
- From Saif , Dar al Kalim School,Evangelical Lutheran School – Beit Sahour
- From Bashar, Dar al Kalim School, Evangelical Lutheran School – Beit Sahour
- From Wadie, Lutheran School, Ramallah
Videos of children and young people talking about their lives and experiences
- My name is Sahel, an NUT project, daily life of a child in Hebron, Palestine
- Just like us : film of young people from schools in Nazareth, Israel
- Speech given by Noam Shuster, young Israeli woman, from the Israel-Arab village of Neve Shalom/Wahat al Salam, Israel
- Wissam Salman from the Evangelical Lutheran School of Beit Sahour.
- Noa Gur Golan, young Israeli woman who became a Conscientious Objector in 2017
- Ameer Sarhan, Leen abn Ajamiyyen, Lutheran School, Ramallah
UK Working Group for the World Week for Peace in Palestine and Israel
Amos Trust / Baptist Union of Great Britain / Church of Scotland / Council of Lutheran Churches / Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine & Israel / Embrace the Middle East / Friends of Sabeel UK / Kairos Britain / Methodist Church in Britain/ Pax Christi UK / Quakers in Britain /
United Reformed Church-Commitment for Life
Don’t befriend me for a day, and leave me a month. Don’t get close to me if you’re going to leave. Don’t say what you don’t do. Be close or get away.
لا تصاحبني يوماً .. لتهجرني شهراً ولا تقربني .. لتبعدني .. لا تقل ما لا تفعل كُن قريباً .. أو ابتعد.